Monday, August 15, 2016

OLYMPIC FEVER HOLDING A STEADY PACE

photo credit@vickisullivan, 2016

To be sure, most runners are not olympic bound. Still, though, the same rules of endurance, steady pacing, discipline, and love of the sport, regardless of our natural gifting, bind us all through empathy and understanding of how many runs are just like running uphill all the way. That pretty much describes my jog this morning. 

Temperature, humidity, weather, emotional status, physical condition, and mental toughness are, I think, the components most affecting each run.  I was really up for the jog after taking off all jogs for 2 weeks.  But, as the week progressed and the temperatures reached into the 90's, my enthusiasm for getting up before dawn waned considerably.  Now, as drudgery and 90 degree temps, have once more demanded discipline and commitment, I find myself considering and weighing the costs and benefits of just "getting out there."  

Given that I've been a runner since high school, I don't think I'm yet about giving up on what I've always found relaxing and invigorating. And, though my fast paced runner family members debate on whether I am walking or jogging, holding a steady pace has proved exceptionally foundational in every area of life. Hello - I plan on continuing.

Certainly, like so many, I have watched with interest as this year's Summer Olympics choose which athletes are the best at whatever sport. And, I've appreciated how they each and everyone "hold a steady pace." 

Keep your eyes on the next mile market and Go Team USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment